This weekend was a fabulous weekend, and one I will always remember. Let me give you a little back story. I have been doing some family history research on my fathers side on the Kay family. My great-great grandmother Rhoda Kay came over from England after she joined the church in the early 1900's. I have been tracing her family line, and was able to get in touch with some of her descendants that still live in England. This weekend I was able to meet some of them.
Thomas Alan Kay, and his beautiful wife Julia were in America touring the states, and they happened to be in town on May Day, which is an old English celebration that my grandmother Rhoda started in the town of Mendon when she came to America. They came up and we were able to visit.
Here I am with Alan,
Notice the little package under my arm. Alan and Julia (and their daughter Madeline, who I have been working with also) gave me a BEAUTIFUL little book with scenery from towns in England where my relatives were from. I have been pouring over it since I got it.

Then my son got ahold of the camera and we got this:
I cannot even begin to describe how enchanting this encounter with these relatives was. It was like a piece of my heritage, that I had never before seen, came into view, and for a brief moment, all was right in the world. I think my ancestors in heaven were working really hard to set-up this meeting for us, on this specific day.
We took them up to the Mendon cemetery where Rhoda and her children are buried. And we told stories about our families, some we had never heard before. I long to be able to go to England and see these places that Alan has talked about, and that I have been researching. I am trying to convince Jared that we need to go next year for our 10 year anniversary, and for his graduation from college present.
Thank you Alan and Julia, for coming and visiting. I will always treasure meeting you, and pray I can see you again soon, this time in England.



10 comments:
I think it's awesome that you're doing family history work. What a reward to meet family for the first time. I've been meaning to tell you we had a great time with you guys. I really enjoyed having your family around. Thanks for the gift and the thank you card. You guys are more then welcome to come anytime. I hope you come every year (or maybe you should just move here!). You motivated me to start weeding my yard (thanks for helping). I've weeded every day since you left (excpet weekends). I've probaby put in about 12 hours already. I have a long way to go! I would love to hear how your job is going. I'm horrible about slowing down long enough to call people. If you don't hear from me soon please give me a call.
WOW. Great post.
It is so awesome that you got to personally meet Alan after all the research you've done. What a great experience!
SOOOO COOOL! It makes me really want to start digging into family history. What a fantastic experience. I am sure our ancestors were working hard on it.
I think this is the most beautiful post ever! Wow, I am incredibly touched by this story. Well done Heidi. That is the coolest adventure of all! Keep up your amazing work, and I can't wait to hear more stories!
Oh how cool! Both my Zoe Kay and Sharon Kay are named after Rhoda Kay haha :) So I think that crazy pic of Jared makes him look like John Lock off the tv series Lost.
Heidi that is sooooo cool!!! Your story gave me goosebumps! What an awesome experience!!!
where in england are they from? where in utah was that may day celebration? i want to go to that. looks so fun. i am loving england and want to do more family history research and come back with cory sometime and rent a car and drive all over and find our ancestors old towns and parishes.
Wow May Day! I was a Maypole dancer 2 years straight when I lived in England.
Awesome story about finding your relatives- something I learned in dealng with family history, expect miracles.
Oh I love the May Pole. We used to do that when I was young and I always looked forward to it. We were just commenting that no one does it any more. What a wonderful experience with your genealogy and your family! And Jared looks cute too! Nice job Xander.
Post a Comment