Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Jared's Update from China

Jared e-mailed me this update he wanted posted to the blog. Usually he would do it, but apparently it is sensored in China. So here is Jared's blog post:

Funny China Facts:
  • You cannot go to google.com, you have to go to google.cn which is a censored version of Google. I've actually noticed this is kind of nice, because it removed the crap websites from your searches such as accidental porn sites and such.
  • You cannot go to wikipedia.org. This one kind of sucks, but oh well.
  • Any one who thinks they have had authentic Chinese without ever being in China is gravely mistaken. Some of it I like, some of it is awful, and I have no idea what some of it is. I've decided I really like pork, because it tastes the same as it does in the US. Beef comes close, but it seems to be cooked different, and chicken doesn't even taste remotely the same as it does in the U.S., which is funny since everything tastes like chicken...
  • You really don't think about how many of your meals have dairy in them until there is no dairy anywhere. Really, think about it and you will realize how different meals become without dairy. (Heidi adds: Joey must really be excited now)
  • There is nothing quite like ordering chicken and getting the chickens head as part of your meal.
  • Food is cheap, I've spent about $3 - $4 a meal eating out. This doesn't even come close to the $60 limit Disney gives me per meal.
  • A 1.5L Sprite costs about $.50 at the little store by my Hotel.
  • Yes, I am a giant in China.
  • Being a white giant causes a lot of street venders to try and sell me fake Rolexes.
  • Some facts about cars, motorcycles, buses, pedestrians, and bikes: 2 objects cannot occupy the same space, thus the larger object will win, so get out of the way... (using crosswalks is interesting)
  • Anyway, thats it for now.

Here are some pictures of Chinese Oreo's and Sprite from our video chat this morning. It's kind of funny seeing familiar items with unfamiliar labeling. Anyhow, Miss ya Jared!

6 comments:

Crystal said...

oh my heck. that justt made my day. i laughed so hard. I'm so glad he's having fun. loves.

MaryRuth said...

I love the China updates!!! So fun!! Great job Jared!!

And Joey will be so happy he had a shout out!

Love you guys!!

MaryRuth said...

oh and does that mean you won't have a blog while you're in China??????????????????? That would be WAY too sad!!!

Emily said...

I love the updates on China!! I can't wait until I come and visit you there. I think it is so interesting you can't wikipedia. Chatzy and Lulu would die without it. Well, I am excited to see you next week!

Mom/Lisa said...

I love these updates! Thanks Jared! Hey, no one here will know if it's a real rolex or not. Kaylee wants to know what the toilets look like there. lol. She liked the pics of China.

Ryan and Angela said...

That is the most interesting blog ever, even Ryan agrees. I love hearing about Jared in China. Okay, I guess pictures of Xander trump Jared, but it is close.