Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Is it ever OK to marry your first cousin?

Jared and I were having this conversation last night. Is it ever OK to marry your first cousin? Now legally it is allowed in some states, and banned in others. Some states, like Utah, have a clause that it is legal if one of the partners is sterilized, thus making it impossible to reproduce. So that being said, if it is legal, is it OK to marry your first cousin?

My first thought was NO WAY! That is gross and disgusting, but here are a few scenarios we came up with:
  1. You never knew each other growing up, then in your adult years, you find a friend, you discover you are cousins, and you fall in love.
  2. You knew you were cousins, but never really knew each other. Later in life you get together again, and fall in love.
  3. You always knew you were cousins, and have always been good friends. You decide that no one else understands you like this person (after all you have similar upbringings).
Now assuming it was legal in the state, should they get married, or should they call it of? What are your thoughts?

11 comments:

christy said...

i would not marry someone if it required one of us to be sterilized. if they did get married they should not have kids. i know someone in AL who married their own uncle and they had 4 or 5 kids together. these kids are "not right" if you know what I mean. I don't approve of it personally but to each his own, just don't afflict offspring with your problem.

Karianne said...

Up throught the 19th century, it wasn't uncommon for first cousins to marry. It is because of social norms that it seems so wierd or yucky to us. That being said, I think NO WAY. Too gross. But Erin's husband is our 4th or 5th cousin through different wives on the Egbert line, and their kids have turned out alright. I guess the gene pool is diluted enough after 5 generations to make it ok.

Chatzy said...

Interesting... I might have to change my mind once I think about this for a little while longer but I think for right now I would have to say that it just isn't okay to marry your 1st cousin... Any geneticist will say that the offspring of said persons would not turn out "right". But i have to wonder, what happened during Adam and Eve's time... The only options they had were to marry their siblings... I know it is probably different for some reason, but I still wonder.

Erin L said...

Dave and I started dating, and then after a week or so I heard his sister talk about "Grandma Egbert." I just about died. At the time, Dave was sitting next to me on the couch, and he just slid over (half jokingly) because that would be gross. We figured out that night (with some help from our parents) that we came through different wives of Joseph Egbert (5 generations back on his side, 6 on mine). We figured that was far enough away. I think that 2nd cousins I'd say okay to those scenarios, but first cousins, no thanks....

Leisa said...

If you can't pass on the messed up genetics to your off spring then sure, why not! Of course i think it's totally gross but not showering is totally gross too and people do that all the time. Although i feel like there is really no reason to marry your cousin. I mean if it's for companionship or support or like "they're the only one who understands" then there is no point because they're already family and that's what family is for. If it's for romantic reasons. GROSS they're your family. It just doesn't make sense. And you can't use the "We're in love" excuse because as Emily and i have discussed at length, love is a choice it's not something you just fall into. And once again they're already your family there is no reason to make a family with someone who already is family! So basically i'm saying it doesn't make sense to marry your cousin .

Isaac said...

Which cousin would you marry?

And are you marrying your cousin so you don't have to date/marry someone else?

Which person would cause you to rather marry your cousin, then marry?

Isaac

Renee' said...

I think it's just plain icky. You share the same blood, even if you can't reproduct, it's still not right.

Sharon said...

It seemed to work in Abraham's day.

loma said...

Thought you might like this from today's SL Tribune:

Lawmaker: Ban first-cousin marriages as 'genetic roulette'

The Associated Press

Updated: 02/19/2010 10:44:11 AM MST


ANNAPOLIS, Md. » A Maryland state legislator says it's time to ban marriages between first cousins and stop playing what he calls "genetic roulette" with their offspring.

Henry Heller, a Democratic delegate, or state representative, says he wants to bring Maryland "into the enlightened world of other states such as West Virginia and Arkansas" that already prohibit unions of first cousins.

Heller is a retired special education administrator. He says couples who are first cousins are at an increased risk of having a child with birth defects.

The bill would make an exception for people who are over age 65 or infertile. Heller says he has "no problem" with those couples if they want the companionship.

There are 24 states that prohibit marriage between first-cousins.

Mom/Lisa said...

I worked with a girl who met a guy and they fell in love and got married. After their children were born, they were talking with their families about genealogy and found out they were first cousins. She said their families had never been close, she never knew her cousins. So, what to do? By the time I met her they had been married years, I think 15 and had 2 normal, healthy kids.

Leisa said...

the thought still haunts me. It is not ok.